Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I'm having a 4th child!

Ok....not exactly....but close enough! This week a fourteen year-old boy from Spain will join my crazy family for three weeks as part of the EF Homestay program. As an aupair coordinator, I heard about the program through some colleagues of mine and thought it would be a great experience for my family. I also thought it would help me prepare for my eventual role as a host mom to an au pair. While not feasible for me right now, I do plan to utilize au pairs as my primary form of childcare. With three kids and a wacky schedule it's really the best choice for me. But I digress ....

Hosting an exchange student for three weeks will be quite interesting. I've never done this before. He is a teenager, so it will basically be like having four kids in the house. Oi!
Even though he will be quite busy with activities planned and a rigorous course curriculum (learning English), I am still be responsible for meals, room & board and some occasional entertainment. I can only hope that I am able to provide a caring, loving environment for this young man. Scratch that - I know I can do all of those things. What I worry about is airing my dirty laundry or acting in such a way that this poor kid runs screaming for the hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment