Saturday, June 5, 2010

You Oughta Know ...

When I was about 15 I had my heart broken. (Who didn't?!) At 15 when a boy hurts you, you feel as if your entire world is collapsing around you. I felt that pain and at the time I thought nothing could hurt worse. (What did I know; did I mention I was 15?!?!)

Music has always been my refuge when times get tough. I find great solace in songs that empower me during my darkest hour. At the time Alanis Morrissette had just burst onto the scene with her Jagged Little Pill album. The first release from that album was a lovely little ditty called "You Oughta Know". The lyrics said a lot about my feelings at the time. This song became my anthem back then. And I must say, it's become my anthem again now. Although this time my heartbreak is based on more than some teenage punk standing me up. But somehow the feelings are eerily similar ...

The song is not a sappy little ditty. It's a "suck it douchelord" kind of ditty. Yup, my anthem. My Alanis. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment